Moving Checklist

When you are preoccupied with important relocation-related tasks, it’s easy to forget about informing relevant people and institutions of your upcoming residential move and subsequent change of address.

But notifying specific organizations and individuals of your relocation are essential for ensuring a smooth moving process and preventing various hassles and troubles with your mail and accounts.

Here is a checklist of people and institutions you need to contact when moving.

Family and Friends

Naturally, your relatives and close friends should be the first to know that you are about to move house. Informing them of your imminent relocation as early as possible will not only give you a chance to ask them to help you move but if you’re moving far away, will also provide you with enough time to say a proper goodbye and plan for different ways to stay in touch despite the distance between you.

Current Employer

Unless you’re relocating to a different branch of your current company, you should inform your employer about your decision to move and leave your job as early as a month in advance.

This way, the company will have time to find a new person for your position, and you will be able to put all the relevant paperwork in order without any hassle.

Remember that your old boss will need your new address to send you tax documents and insurance information at the end of the year.


If you live in a rental home, you should carefully review your tenant responsibilities contained in the lease agreement. You will probably be required to notify your landlord of your intentions to move out at least 30 days in advance.

You need to prepare a written notice that clearly states your move-out date and your future address. If is also a good idea to include a brief statement about the excellent condition of the rental property and request your security deposit back.

Postal Services

Changing your address with the United States Postal Service should be among your top priorities when moving to a new house, as it will help avoid many troubles and inconveniences.

To have your mail forwarded to your new place before you’ve updated your address with individual organizations nd companies, you only need to fill out a change of address request at your local post office or at the USPS official website.

Online services such as 1StopMove can also help you complete this process.


To prevent services lapses and past-due bills you need to inform your service providers about your relocation plans. Arrange for the utilities at your old home to be disconnected on moving day, and have them reconnected at your new residence by the time you move in.

The utility companies you should contact when moving include electricity, gas, water, telephone, cable, internet, domestic waste collection and other municipal services you may need.


When you move out of state, you’ll have to transfer your driver’s license and update vehicle’s registration and insurance within quite a short time frame (10 to 30 days depending on your new state).

Government Agencies

A number of government agencies should be notified when you’re moving to another state. Be sure to update your address with the local office of the Social Security Administration, electoral register, and other relevant institutions.


The Internal Revenue Service will need your actual home address to mail you tax return, fiscal notes, and other documents. All you need to do is print out and mail in the IRS’ Change of address form soon after your relocation.

Financial Institutions

To keep your finances in order, you must update your bank account information and inform credit card companies, stockbrokers, and other relevant financial institutions of your new address either shortly prior to or immediately after your move.

Insurance Companies

The insurance agencies that provide your life, health, and homeowners insurance policies should have your current address on file, as should any other organizations and individuals (such as your family attorney) who have dealings with you and your family.

Medical and Educational Facilities

When moving to a new state, you will have to enroll your children in a new school, find a new family physician, and transfer all your academic reci=ords, medical records, and prescription medicines. To successfully complete these important tasks you need to tell all your doctors, dentists, vets and other healthcare providers, as well as the educational facilities t=your kids are attending, about your relocations and your new address.

Subscription Services and Clubs

Last but not least, you need to update your address with any sports, professional, or social clubs you are involved with. You should also notify the subscriber services department of any magazines or newspapers you want to receive at your new home.

You may have to personally visit some companies or institutions to notify them of your relocation, but in most cases you will be able to change your mailing address online or with a simple phone call. Postcards, e-mails, text messages and social network announcements are also viable methods to inform people of your new address.

Information provided by "Zillow Porchlight"





Looking to Buy a Home?

*Required field

Mortgage Calculator

Please enter numbers only without commas or spaces.